1000 Islands Kayaking is seeking full and part-time sea kayak guides to join our team of outdoor professionals. The ideal candidates will have excellent customer service skills, abundant tripping experience, have current certifications, and a genuine passion for outdoor education. Successful applicants will be required to complete an internal training and mentorship program as part of the integration and orientation process of professional guiding in the Thousand Islands.
1000 Islands Kayaking offers a unique opportunity for people to engage with the 1000 Islands and experience the area. We maintain a close partnership with the Thousand Island National Park and Biosphere Reserve to deliver high quality educational kayaking tours of the islands. We continue to promote high standards of safety and quality within our programs.
Location: This position will be based out of our Gananoque, ON location (110 Kate St).
Hours: Full and part-time positions available. Standard shifts include 8am-5:30pm or 11am-8:30pm. We are open 7 days a week, so flexibility to work weekends, weekdays, and holidays is appreciated.
Start Date: ASAP
End Date: This season ends the Thanksgiving long weekend (October 10, 2022). Qualified candidates will also be invited back next season to join our staff team.
- Operate guided sea kayak tours around Thousand Islands National Park with a high degree of professionalism and enthusiasm.
- Provide instruction on kayaking techniques to clients before the tour starts and while on-water, be patient with first-timers.
- Engage with clients and inform them about the region, its history, wildlife and environment.
- Off water duties include: setting up and cleaning up kayaks for the day, front of house, operations assistance, and gear maintenance
- Maintain all company protocols while on program and consistently demonstrate high regard for risk management procedures.
Skills + Qualifications
- Minimum requirements: Paddle Canada Level 2 Sea-kayaking certification for guiding
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including good verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-starter and ability to work independently.
- Good sense of humor and likes working in an unstructured, fast-paced environment.
- Must demonstrate ability to care for self and other in inclement weather in remote wilderness areas for long periods of time.
- Current Standard First Aid Certification and Safe Food Handling is required (can be achieved on the job if you do not already have these certifications).
What we offer
- Competitive wages
- Exciting, fast-paced, fun work environment
- Paid courses for professional development
- Internal paid training
- Use of kayaks for personal trips (subject to availability and liability waiver)
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. All applications will be reviewed and those matching skills and qualifications will be contacted by email or phone; no need to follow up. Start date will be agreed as part of the offer of employment.
Thank you on behalf of the 1000 Islands Kayaking Team for your interest!