1000 Islands Kayaking is seeking full and part-time sea kayak guides and instructors to join our team of outdoor professionals. The ideal candidates will have excellent customer service skills, abundant tripping experience, have current certifications and a genuine passion for outdoor education.
The extraordinary experience clients have at 1000 Islands Kayaking is largely credited to the professionalism and integrity of the individuals delivering those programs. It is the responsibility of the guide / instructor to ensure that clients are greeted and managed appropriately to ensure they are safe, well informed and have an exceptional experience.
Candidates should have a good working knowledge of the 1000 Islands tourism industry to assist clients both before and after their program. Individuals must be able to work in a high-pace environment and guide our tours and instruct our various programs in a professional manner. Guides / instructors will interact with clients from around the world and must be able to describe programs in detail, prepare boats and associated equipment for client use and assist in the end-of-day cleaning of equipment.
Successful applicants will be required to complete an internal training and mentorship program as part of the integration and orientation process of professional guiding in the Thousand Islands.
Full-time guiding positions are available for 2022 to 2021 successful recruits.
Location: This position is based out of our Gananoque, ON location (110 Kate St).
Hours: Hours of operation are from 8:00am – 8:00pm, 7 days a week.
Start Date: September 2021
End Date: This season ends the Thanksgiving long weekend (October 11, 2021). Qualified candidates will also be invited back next season to join our staff team. Start with us now and have a job for next summer as well!
- Operate guided sea kayak tours around Thousand Islands National Park with a high degree of professionalism and enthusiasm
- Complete in-house and on-water training
- Complete all prep work before tour begins and all clean-up once tour is finished
- Engage with clients and inform them about the region, it’s history, wildlife and environment
- Perform safe channel crossings with clients and assist with launching and landings
- Prepare food for clients on guided camping trips with professional and high standard, adhering to Safe Food Handling protocols and best practices
- Ensure all aspects of tours and course instruction adhere to Transport Canada and Paddle Canada rules & regulations
- Provide instruction on kayaking techniques to clients before tour starts and while on-water, be patient with first-timers
- Conduct programs, including Paddle Canada certification courses, and other programs such as clinics
- Off water duties include: setting up and cleaning up kayaks for the day, front of house, operations assistance and gear maintenance
- Maintain all company protocols while on program and consistently demonstrate high regard for risk management procedures.
Skills + Qualifications
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including good verbal and written communication skills. Ability to speak in both official languages – English / French is an asset
- Self-starter and ability to work independently
- Minimum requirements: Paddle Canada Level 2 Sea-kayaking certification for guiding, and Level 1 Sea-kayaking Instructor certification for teaching programs
- Good sense of humor and likes working in an unstructured, fast-paced environment
- Friendly and professional customer service etiquette
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds to move boats and other related equipment
- Knowledge of kayaking and ability to conduct our programs, including risks, route itineraries and benefits of the experience
- Detailed knowledge of 1000 Islands to share with clients as part of the tour, plus other local tourism opportunities to assist with trip planning and retention of visitors in the area. Give references for accommodations, restaurants, parks, attractions, and activities
- High level of emotional intelligence and problem solving skills to troubleshoot a variety of social and environmental circumstances inherent to the industry
- Must demonstrate ability to care for self and other in inclement weather in remote wilderness areas for long periods of time
- Ability to manage projects of varying size and scope simultaneously while prioritizing appropriately
- Current Standard First Aid Certification and Safe Food Handling is required (can be achieved on the job if you do not already have these certifications)
About 1000 Islands Kayaking
1000 Islands Kayaking is a unique opportunity for people to engage with the 1000 Islands and experience the area. We maintain a close partnership with the Thousand Island National Park and Biosphere Reserve to deliver high quality educational tours of the islands. We continue to promote high standards of safety and quality within our programs.
We offer excellent internal training opportunities with plenty of guidance and documented resources for staff. Integration and support is an important and ongoing part of our culture. We believe in empathetic leadership and encourage creativity while appreciating efficiency of systems management.
We are a customer service-based company located out of Gananoque, Ontario. We offer guided full day, half day, and 3-day camping trips as well as self-guided rentals. We also work with local school boards to promote paddling activities for school groups and various organizations. During the summer months we also offer skills courses, boat shuttle services and operate a small retail space.
What we offer
- Competitive wages
- Exciting, fast-paced, fun work environment
- Paid courses for professional development
- Internal paid training
- Use of kayaks for personal trips (subject to availability and liability waiver)
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com by Monday, September 20, 2021. Applicants chosen to move forward in the selection process will be contacted by email or phone to schedule an interview. Only successful candidates will be contacted. No need to follow-up. Start date will be agreed as part of the offer of employment.
Thank you on behalf of the 1000 Islands Kayaking Team for your interest!