1000 Islands Kayaking is seeking a talented, experienced and highly-motivated full or part-time Power Boat Operator staff member. 1000 Islands Kayaking offers a power boat shuttle service to allow people without a mode of water transportation to enjoy and explore the Thousand Islands. Our regular service area includes the Admiralty and Lake Fleet island clusters.
1000 Islands Kayaking offers a unique opportunity for people to engage with the 1000 Islands and experience the area. We maintain a close partnership with the Thousand Island National Park and Biosphere Reserve to deliver high quality educational kayaking and power boat tours of the islands. We continue to promote high standards of safety and quality within our programs.
Location: This position will be based out of our Gananoque, ON location (110 Kate St).
Hours: Full and part-time positions available. Standard shifts include 8am-5:30pm or 11am-8:30pm. We are open 7 days a week, so flexibility to work weekends, weekdays, and holidays is appreciated.
Start Date: ASAP
End Date: This season ends the Thanksgiving long weekend (October 10, 2022). Qualified candidates will also be invited back next season to join our staff team.
- Piloting shuttle boat to national park or private islands from Gananoque base to Ivy Lea Bridge area
- Loading and transportation of equipment and passengers
- Towing kayaks when needed
- Circle check of vessel prior to launch
- Greeting clients registered through 1000 Islands Kayaking
- Monitoring weather and route plans
- Maintaining transportation log
- Unloading equipment to picnic shelters or campsites
- Upholding a professional and high standard of care on the water. Ensuring you are mindful of all vessels on the water, especially human-powered crafts.
- Responding to Marine Emergency Duties (fire, flooding, passenger overboard, first aid, inclement weather, cold water immersion)
- Fueling + general maintenance of vessel
- Assisting Front of House staff with duties when needed (ie helping move kayaks, outfitting clients with gear, giving rental safety talks to clients, general customer service)
Skills + Qualifications
- Pleasure Craft Operator’s Certificate (mandatory)
- Small Vessel Operator Proficiency Certificate (preferred + highly recommended)
- VHF Operator’s License (highly recommended)
- Standard First Aid with CPR C (mandatory)
- Wilderness First Aid (preferred)
- Be able to provide a Criminal Reference Check
- Experience piloting power boats. Must demonstrate proficient care + control of vessel
- Lifting and carrying minimum 50 lbs
- Must demonstrate knowledge of Canadian Aids to Navigation System
- Must demonstrate knowledge of Canadian Collision Regulations
- Must be skilled at dealing with stressful or high-pressure situations
What we offer
- Competitive wages
- Exciting, fast-paced, fun work environment
- Paid courses for professional development
- Internal paid training
- Use of kayaks for personal trips (subject to availability and liability waiver)
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. All applications will be reviewed and those matching skills and qualifications will be contacted by email or phone; no need to follow up. Start date will be agreed as part of the offer of employment.
Thank you on behalf of the 1000 Islands Kayaking Team for your interest!