1000 Islands Kayaking is seeking a talented, experienced and highly-motivated administrative staff member. The ideal candidate will have excellent organizational skills, ability to use multiple computer software programs and social media portfolios with ease, demonstrate excellent customer service skills and have detailed knowledge of the 1000 Islands tourism industry. Individuals must be able to work in a high-pace environment and organize tasks for various program managers. Administration staff will interact with clients from around the world and must be able to describe programs in detail, complete the booking process, coordinate program staff and support front of house staff as needed, including moving boats for client use. The ability to speak in both English and French is considered an asset.
Location: This position will be based out of our Gananoque, ON location (110 Kate St).
Hours: 8:00am – 8:00pm, 5 days a week, including weekends, during season. Part-time hours are also available in the off-peak season.
Start Date: September 2021
- Answer phone calls, describe programs, assist with inquiries of local tourism suppliers (accommodations, food and beverage, attractions and other activities, parks)
- Provide exceptional customer service via phone, email and front line service
- Manage both online and in-person bookings and process payments accurately
- Organize and maintain client information
- Manage inventory systems and assign program equipment
- Update social media platforms on a regular basis and engage with marketing assignments for monitoring sales and promotions.
- Schedule staff for tours, front of house and power boats
- Communication with program staff regularly and effectively
- Support Operations Manager, and assist front of house staff, including moving boats for client use
- Provide promotional media support and managing campaigns
- Complete website updates, general computer and office maintenance
- Maintain an organized office with complete stock of stationery and facility supplies
Skills + Qualifications
- Ability to speak and correspond in both official languages – English / French – is not required, but is a strong asset.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and Word, Google forms. Will be trained on reservation software, accounting procedures and social media platforms
- Experience with WordPress to make website changes / manage reports
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage projects of varying size and scope simultaneously while prioritizing appropriately
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-starter and ability to work independently
- Highly detail-oriented and strong analytical skills
- Excellent communication, organization and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of kayaking and ability to describe the specifics of our programs such as; what is included, risks, route itineraries and benefits of the experience
- Detailed knowledge of other local tourism opportunities to assist with trip planning and retention of visitors in the area. Give references for accommodations, restaurants, parks, attractions, and activities
- Ability to assist Front of House staff with operational duties as required
- Current Standard First Aid Certification is required (can be achieved on the job if you do not already have a current SFA)
- College diploma/certificate/business administration or equivalent experience
About 1000 Islands Kayaking
1000 Islands Kayaking is a unique opportunity for people to engage with the 1000 Islands and experience the area. We maintain a close partnership with the Thousand Island National Park and Biosphere Reserve to deliver high quality educational tours of the islands. We continue to promote high standards of safety and quality within our programs.
We offer excellent internal training opportunities with plenty of guidance and documented resources for staff. Integration and support is an important and ongoing part of our culture. We believe in empathetic leadership and encourage creativity while appreciating efficiency of systems management.
We are a customer service-based company located out of Gananoque, Ontario. We offer guided full day, half day, and 3-day camping trips. We also work with local school boards to promote paddling activities for school groups and various organizations. During the summer months we also offer skills courses, rental packages, boat shuttle services and operate a small retail space.
What we offer
- Competitive wages
- Exciting, fast-paced, fun work environment
- Paid courses for professional development
- Internal paid training
- Use of kayaks for personal trips (subject to availability and liability waiver)
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com by Wednesday September 15, 2021. Applicants chosen to move forward in the selection process will be contacted by email or phone to schedule an interview. Only successful candidates will be contacted. No need to follow-up. Start date will be agreed as part of the offer of employment.
Thank you on behalf of the 1000 Islands Kayaking Team for your interest!