1000 Islands Kayaking is seeking highly-motivated full or part-time operational staff to work in a “Front of House” position. The ideal candidates will have excellent customer service skills to ensure that customers coming into the facility are greeted and managed appropriately. They should also have a good working knowledge of the 1000 Islands tourism industry to assist clients both before and after their program. Individuals must be able to work in a high-pace environment and organize tasks for various program managers. Operational staff will interact with clients from around the world and must be able to describe programs in detail, complete the booking process, and prepare boats and associated equipment for client use.
1000 Islands Kayaking offers a unique opportunity for people to engage with the 1000 Islands and experience the area. We maintain a close partnership with the Thousand Island National Park and Biosphere Reserve to deliver high quality educational kayaking tours of the islands. We continue to promote high standards of safety and quality within our programs.
Location: This position will be based out of our Gananoque, ON location (110 Kate St).
Hours: Full and part-time positions available. Standard shifts include 8am-5:30pm or 11am-8:30pm. We are open 7 days a week, so flexibility to work weekends, weekdays, and holidays is appreciated.
Start Date: ASAP
End Date: This season ends the Thanksgiving long weekend (October 10, 2022). Qualified candidates will also be invited back next season to join our staff team.
- Respond to walk-in clients, providing exceptional customer service including describing programs and assisting with client inquiries.
- Manage in-person bookings and process payments accurately
- Manage rental clients, including providing a rental orientation to clients
- Move, prepare and clean boats and equipment used for various programs
- Assist administrator and General Manager to assign boats and equipment to meet program requirements
Skills + Qualifications
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including good verbal and written communication skills.
- Good computer skills to operate customer reservation and other related systems
- Self-starter and ability to work independently
- Good sense of humor and likes working in an unstructured, fast-paced environment
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds to move boats and other related equipment
- Knowledge of kayaking and ability to describe the specifics of our programs such as; what is included, risks, route itineraries and benefits of the experience
- Detailed knowledge of other local tourism opportunities to assist with trip planning and retention of visitors in the area. Give references for accommodations, restaurants, parks, attractions, and activities
- Current Standard First Aid Certification and Safe Food Handling is required (can achieve during Summer if you do not already have these certifications)
What we offer
- Competitive wages
- Exciting, fast-paced, fun work environment
- Paid courses for professional development
- Internal paid training
- Use of kayaks for personal trips (subject to availability and liability waiver)
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. All applications will be reviewed and those matching skills and qualifications will be contacted by email or phone; no need to follow up. Start date will be agreed as part of the offer of employment.
Thank you on behalf of the 1000 Islands Kayaking Team for your interest!